Pages

Monday, February 22, 2021

Chicken Leg Dissection

  Image result for chicken leg dissection

 Hi, guys today I will be sharing what I have been doing for Hurumanu 4 science. We were dissecting a chicken leg. Here are all the materials and safety tips.  

Materials: A chicken drumstick with thigh, Dissecting probe, scalpel, dissecting scissors, paper towels, forceps, dissecting tray, gloves, disinfectant hand wash and spray.  

Safety: 

Wear gloves 

Do Not put anything in your mouth (finger, pens, etc) during the dissection. 

Wash hands thoroughly at the end of the dissection with antibacterial soap and hot water. Ensure your hands are dried after washing. 

Spray surface with antibacterial soap. 

Three interesting things we did:

Place the chicken leg on a dissecting tray and examine (look at) h exterior features. The tough outer layer is called the epidermis (or skin). The small bumps covering the skin are where the feathers were attached. 

Carefully pull the skin off by sliding it down and off the lower leg. You may need to use your scalpel to remove it, but be careful not to cut any muscle tissue.

Move the bones around the joints. The main joint between the bones of the lower leg and the femur is a hinge joint like the one in your knee.

Definitions:

Bones help us keep our internal organs safe. 

Our muscle helps us move. 

Tendons attach muscle to bones. 

Ligaments attach bones to the bone. 

A femur is the biggest bone in our body and is located in the leg. 

A tibia is a bone in our leg.

A fibula is a shin bone in our leg.   

Conclusion:

This dissection was really fun I really enjoyed it. Next time I will try to take some photos of our dissection to post on my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.